It took a bit longer than we would have liked but we signed the lease for our new store in Slidell last week. If you’re curious, it will be located in The Crossing shopping center at 106 Gause Blvd West, Suite A-2. Familiar landmarks include the Rouses, Sicily’s Pizza, and Piccadilly Cafeteria. We’ve set a firm date of January 10th for our opening and we’re beginning renovations this week. The Slidell store will have a similar look and feel to our Covington location. It will have a shopping area in front with the great selection of comics, toys, and games that our customers have come to expect from us and separate dedicated game room in back.
Currently we’re working on determining exactly what our hours will be and we will post them as soon as we know. We also received many more applications than we have time to interview so we’re reviewing and prioritizing them as best we can based on experience and whether the availability listed meets our needs.
We would have preferred to open in December but delays in negotiating the lease and 3 major holidays have made it impossible. In the meantime, I would like to share a little bit about how our store works with our new customers.
Customer Loyalty Program
Big Easy Comics has a voluntary universal discount program called Hero Points that all of our customers are eligible for. Customers earn 1 point for every dollar they spend on items at MSRP. Points earned don’t expire for a year and can be redeemed as noted below. In order to redeem points at a given level customers much be purchasing at least that much at the time of redemption. Points are not earned on discounted items like booster boxes, cases, or sale items.
100 points $5 200 points $15
300 points $30 400 points $50
500 points $75 750 points $125
1000 points $200
Our customers can earn as much as 20% back on their purchases!
Comic readers can open subscription folders now by stopping by our Covington or Hammond locations. We’ll start pulling for you immediately and work with you to get any comics you might have missed as a result of Magic Comics closing. There is no minimum number of comics required and free bags and boards are available for subscriptions. We highly recommend you don’t wait until we open to start your folder to best guarantee you don’t miss any issues.
We place special orders for customers all the time for comics, toys, and games. We have a pretty simple policy for special orders; we don’t want your money until we have your item(s). When a customer places a special order, they’re agreeing to buy what we’re ordering for them and we expect they will honor that agreement. We do not require down payments on special orders unless they are over $100. For special orders over $100, we require a 25% non-refundable down payment. Should a customer choose not to purchase an item that was special ordered for them they must pay in full in advance for all future special orders.
Our dedicated game room will be available for free open play any time the store is open. We also regularly hold organized play and tournaments for a number of games including Magic, YuGiOh, Cardfight, Dragon Ball Z, Warhammer, War Machine, Dungeons & Dragons, Heroclix, X-Wing, Attack Wing and so on. Organized play events do have priority over casual play, but it’s a rare occasion that we can’t accommodate everyone. All players are expected to respect the rules of the game room and be polite and courteous to other players. Trading is always allowed in the game room, however cash sales between customers are prohibited. We sell plenty of snacks and drinks, however you are allowed to bring in outside food as long as you clean up after yourself.
GAME ROOM RULES
1. Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Harassment and bullying will not be tolerated.
2. The only weapons allowed are your sharp wit and biting sarcasm. All other weapons of any kind are prohibited. These include, but are not limited to, guns and knives.
3. Alcohol and drugs are prohibited. Don’t ingest any before you come to the shop or while you’re with us. you will be asked to leave and quite possibly not to return.
4. Big Easy Comics is an all-ages store, so watch your language. Trust us, you don’t sound cool; you sound like someone lacking a proper vocabulary.
5. The buying and selling of merchandise between customers on the premises is prohibited. Don’t set up a fruit stand in our grocery store.
6. Leave things as you found them. Your mother doesn’t work here so be responsible and throw out your trash and clean up any mess you’ve made. Return any tables, chairs, or game room equipment to where it belongs.
7. Unpaid merchandise is not allowed in the game room. Don’t make us tackle you, the floor has non-skid in it and we’d hate to scrape our elbows.
8. Scheduled events have priority for game room use. Open casual play may not always be available.
I was by no means trying to answer every question that could be thought up. If you have additional questions, message us on Facebook!